HASELEY OF THE PAST
The name is thought to derive from Hazel Ley - meaning a clearing in a Hazel wood. For many centuries woods stretched from the main London - Oxford road to beyond Standhill and there appears to be no mention of a road to the village from that until after the Norman Conquest, though there is mention of one, past the Foundry through to Cuddesdon.
But as Roman coins have been dug up in the churchyard (two being in the possession of Mr Harry Payne) it is thought there must have been a settlement here very early, and there is evidence in a document now in the Bodleian Library that by 800 A.D. there was a church here, dedicated to St. Peter, as it still is. Part of the font is also thought to be Saxon.
By the time of Edward the Confessor this area, known as Hazeley, belonged to the Queen.
Norman Period 1066 - 1150
Hazeley is mentioned in the Domesday Book 1087, as having 20 - 30 households, 60 acres meadow land, 150 acres woodland and 2000 acres of farmland. It than belonged to Milo Crispin, who held it as a reward for his services to William the Conqueror.
Milo Crispin built a wooden manor house very like a barn, where the Manor farm milking sheds are now. In 1105 he gave the tithes of his land to the Abbey of Bec in Normandy, and dues were paid annually to that abbey for centuries.